Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Effects of Public School

Last Friday, we were given an article that was published by the American Association of Christian Schools to put in our student’s packets. I found it very interesting and decided to post the following quote from the article: “Is Christian education what God wants for your children? Or would God prefer them to be educated in public schools where the Bible, prayer, and Jesus Christ are either ignored or dishonored? Consider this: Does God want your child to attend a school where creation is thought of as a fairy tale, where the concept of sin is mocked, where salvation is considered a figment of the imagination, where secular textbooks are used, and where God and His Son are treated as though they are dead, or at best, irrelevant? The truth is clear-if Christ, Bible truths, Biblical righteousness, and prayer are unwelcomed in a school, why support it?”

Later on that evening, the article I had read earlier came to mind. I was shopping with some friends, when I ran into a former student who left our Christian school to go to a public school. She was a couple of years older and it was evident the effect the lack of church and choice of school had on her. She kept fondly recalling her days in Kindergarten, and told me that she had been thinking of me. She remembered the day she left my class for the last time and how I cried. She asked me if I missed her, and asked about the other students who were in her class. As a teacher, you pour your life into your students and love them as your own. This is the girl who sat in my class as I taught her the Word of God, about salvation, and the importance of loving and serving the Lord. As she followed me around, it truly broke my heart to see so much of the world in her and to hear some of the things she said, without even a second thought. I know that the Lord is faithful and He still has a plan for her life. My prayer is that He would get a hold of her heart before worldly influences drive her farther away from Him.

No comments: